Saturday, June 4, 2011

Los Gatos Muertos


My first commission!


First, to keep up with the progress of this project, visit the Dia de los Muertos photo album on FaceBook:


I was contacted by someone who say my "Mi Casa" plate on FaceBook and was taken with it.
She wanted something for her home, and was particularly interested in something depicting cats (she and her husband have 5).

After some thought and brainstorming, I came up with an idea for a triptych of plates in porcelain, showing her cats. I wanted something with a lot of energy and chaos.
I showed her the sketch, and she gave me the go-ahead to do the plates.

The plates are completed now, and drying slowly.
I'll be adding the feed today and then they'll finish drying.
Once they're dry, I'll wash on a satin black glaze and remove most of it, then wash on a thinned clear glaze.
The plates will be single-fired in oxidation, hopefully next week.

This has been such a fun project, and it gets me back to mt roots as a 2-dimensional artist and my days of drawing. And its garnered some attention out in the real world and generated some sales and potentially some more commissions.

While I'll post a pic on the blog of the finished plates, do check the photo album link to see the process as it goes along!

No comments:

Post a Comment